After your studies
If you have been granted a residence permit for studies at a university or other higher education institution in Sweden and have completed your studies, you can get a residence permit to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business here.
To get a residence permit you have to:
- have a valid passport
- have had a residence permit for higher education that has lasted for at last two terms
- have completed your studies
- apply for a residence permit before your residence permit for studies expires
- plan to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business
- be able to support yourself during the period you will be in Sweden (8010 SEK/month for the entire period)
- have full health insurance
Application form: Application for residence permit to seek employment after having completed studies in Sweden, no. 189011 and Family details – Appendix to your application, no. 239011. Send your application to the Swedish Migration Board's permit unit in Umeå or Växjö.
Documents to attach:
- Copy of your passport
- a certificate from your university showing that you have done at least two terms in Sweden
- a certificate showing that you have completed your studies
- a certificate from your supervisor if you are a doctoral student in Sweden
- an account statement
- Health insurance certificate if you are not registered in the population register in Sweden
Find more information on the Swedish Migration Agency's website (external link).