After your studies

If you have been granted a residence permit for studies at a university or other higher education institution in Sweden and have completed your studies, you can get a residence permit to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business here.

To get a residence permit you have to:

  • have a valid passport 
  • have had a residence permit for higher education that has lasted for at last two terms 
  • have completed your studies 
  • apply for a residence permit before your residence permit for studies expires 
  • plan to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business 
  • be able to support yourself during the period you will be in Sweden (8010 SEK/month for the entire period) 
  • have full health insurance

Application form: Application for residence permit to seek employment after having completed studies in Sweden, no. 189011 and Family details – Appendix to your application, no. 239011. Send your application to the Swedish Migration Board's permit unit in Umeå or Växjö.

Documents to attach:

  • Copy of your passport
  • a certificate from your university showing that you have done at least two terms in Sweden 
  • a certificate showing that you have completed your studies
  • a certificate from your supervisor if you are a doctoral student in Sweden 
  • an account statement 
  • Health insurance certificate if you are not registered in the population register in Sweden

Find more information on the Swedish Migration Agency's website (external link).