Application and admission

Doctoral student positions at the University of Borås are announced continuously. A more condensed announcement of doctoral student positions is presented in March and October. All available positions are announced under ”Work at UB” at the University of Borås website. The vacancies normally pertain 80% research studies (3:rd cycle studies), the remaining 20 % constitutes departmental work such as administration and teaching. The estimated time to reach a doctoral degree with departmental work is thus five years. University of Borås grants full-time positions with adherent salary from the start.


In order to apply for a third-cycle programme at the University of Borås you have to fill out an Application form. In addition, your application must include:

  • Documentation that verifies your general eligibility
  • Your CV (Curriculum Vitae) including references

Please note that for students from universities outside of Europe special rules apply regarding the affidavit necessary for the Admissions Office at University of Borås (see Support documentation below)

The application must reach the university registrator at the latest on the date specified in the announcement. Applications arriving too late will not be considered. Applications or documentation in paper form should be sent to the following address:

 Registrator, Högskolan i Borås, 501 90 Borås

Supporting documentation

Required documents to be submitted

In order to complete your application, you must submit the following documents; 

1. Application form

2. Certificates and diplomas from previous studies at an internationally recognized higher education institution (university or university college)

3. Transcripts of completed courses and grades for each semester (including course list, especially important is transcripts from secondary cycle/master's degree studies). 

Please note: If your degree was awarded in Cameroon, Canada, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Nigeria, or the USA, your transcript must be sent directly from your university.  If you send it yourself, it will not be accepted. Do not send your application /CV to the university/universities you have previously attended and requested transcripts from.

If they send your transcripts to the University of Borås in Sweden with your CV and application form, your documents will be rejected.

Certain countries have specific requirements. Please click on the link below to find out more. (Note that the requirements applicable for second cycle/masters' degree studies also apply for third-cycle/doctoral studies. However, you should disregard the postal address in the link. It only applies for second cycle/masters' degree studies. As mentioned above, applications for third-cycle/doctoral studies should be sent directly to the university for which you are applying):

Link to information regarding country specific requirements

4. Proof of English language skills 

5. Proof that you meet the specific entry requirements specified in the announcement

6. In order to expedite the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or some other proof of your identity.

Application process

Assessment concerning entry requirements for a doctoral student position is handled by the Admissions office. Around two or three weeks after the application deadline, all applications  meeting the formal requirements will be sent to the university's  Research education committee. The committee evaluates and ranks the applications. Top ranked applicants can be called for an interview. Please be aware that it may take up to a month before you are contacted.