Picture of Passport

Residence permit

In general, all students from countries outside the EU/EEA need to apply for a residence permit from the Swedish Migration Agency to study in Sweden.

EU/EEA citizens

If you are a student from a Nordic or an EU/EEA country you have the right to reside in Sweden and you do not have to register with the Migration Board anymore.

Swiss citizens

Students from Switzerland should apply for a residence permit if they plan on being in Sweden for over three months. Information on residence permit for Swiss citizens can be found on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency (external link).

Non EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of any other country than an EU/EEA country you need to apply for a residence permit which is granted by the Swedish Migration Agency. Students are required to have the permit before moving to Sweden and should apply for residence permit as soon as possible after their admission.

The application is made online on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency (external link). Click on Studying in Sweden and then on University and university colleges to find out more about the requirements and the application process.

If you are a fee-paying student we urge you to pay your tuition fee invoice first, since you will not receive your residence permit before the invoice has been paid. Apply for residence permit when you have received the payment confirmation. Please note that you can only obtain a residence permit for studies if you are admitted to full-time studies that require your presence in Sweden, (i.e for the Master's in Library and Information Science you can only receive a visa for your visit(s) to Sweden).

Important to remember when applying:

  • Obtaining a residence permit can be a lengthy process and we recommend you to apply as soon as possible once you are admitted.
  • You cannot receive a residence permit for a longer period of time than your passport is valid, so make sure your passport does not expire before the end date of your studies.
  • You must prove to the Swedish Migration Agency that you will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies. The Migration Board sets the amount, currently 8190 SEK per month for ten months out of each year of your studies. Note that the money has to be on your personal bank account.
  • Make sure to include all the required documents when applying for your residence permit. If your application is not complete, it will take longer time for you to receive a decision. This delay can mean you do not receive your permit in time for your studies.
  • It can be so that you must state a contact person from Sweden. If so, you are welcome to ask one of the International Coordinators to be your contact person

Extension process

An application for an extension of your residence permit should be submitted online on the Swedish Migration Agency's website (external link). You must apply for an extension before your current permit expires. Below you can find a presentation with detailed instructions on how to extend your residence permit.

Extension of residence permit for studies. Presentation April 2016 (pdf).