Preparation and arrival information


The University of Borås does not have a campus with student accommodation and students are responsible for booking their own accommodation. However, the International Office will assist admitted students how to find a place to stay and cooperates with a local housing agency.

Students are responsible for booking accommodation as well as following the rules of the letting agency/landlord and contacting the landlord for, for example, maintenance issues. Please note that the university does not guarantee accommodation, it is your own responsibility to find a place to stay at. If you have questions about how to find an accommodation in Borås you can always ask the International Office and they will assist you.

Read more about student accommodation on our website for admitted students.


All incoming students to the University of Borås are covered by a health insurance either through the university, Swedish social insurance or European social insurance.

Read more about insurance on our website for admitted students.

Residence permit

In general, all students from countries outside the EU/EEA need to have a residence permit to study in Sweden. If you are a student coming to Sweden from a non-EU/EEA country you may need a residence permit or visa to enter Sweden, depending on your citizenship.

Read more about residence permit on our website for admitted students.

Living expenses

The costs of living in Sweden for a student are estimated by the Swedish Migration Board to be SEK 8,370/month. If you are required to have a residence permit before moving to Sweden, you need to show that you have this amount of money for each month you plan on studying in Sweden. If you do not show you can support yourself financially for your entire stay, the Swedish Migration Board will not grant you a residence permit. For more details about this process refer to Residence Permit.

The costs of living depend on where in Sweden you live. The living costs in Borås can in many areas be lower than in several other cities in Sweden, for example Stockholm.

Monthly Expenses

Food: SEK 2300
Student accommodation: SEK 2500-4500
Clothing, hobby/leisure: SEK 1000
Local travel: SEK 500
Medical care and hygiene: SEK 300
Telephone: SEK 300
Course literature: SEK 700

Total monthly costs: SEK 8000-9600

Students should not plan on finding a job in Sweden to support themselves financially while studying. Full-time studies require 40 hours of work a week and are difficult to combine with part-time work. Opportunities for part-time work in Sweden are limited and most jobs require knowledge of Swedish. International students are however allowed to work while studying. Residence permit for studying also includes a work permit.

Read more about the cost of living (external link)