All incoming students to the University of Borås are covered by a health insurance either through the university, Swedish social insurance or European social insurance.

Even if you are not required to have a private health insurance there are some things that the social insurances or the university's insurances do not cover. Therefore it is recommended to check if you need to obtain an additional insurance yourself. 


Health insurance at the university during school hours

All students in Sweden are currently covered by the personal injury insurance (the general student insurance) that is obtained on behalf of universities and colleges within the State insurance system by the Central Student Grants Committee. The insurance applies in Sweden during school hours and during travel to and from the location where school hours are spent.

Property insurance

UB recommends all students that are not covered by FAS+ to individually purchase property insurance (in Swedish "hemförsäkring") from a Swedish or international insurance company. Personal property refers to everything that you own, e.g. clothing, mobile phones, computers, cameras etc. The insurance should also cover liability, legal expenses and travel insurance. 

To be able to obtain property insurance in Sweden students need to have a Swedish personal identity number. If you do not have this number you need to turn to an international insurance company or one in your home country.

A few alternatives on Swedish insurance companies offering property insurance are listed below: