The aim is further to utilize the intrinsic mechanical properties and chemical characteristics for regenerated cellulose fibres,in the reinforcements. Surface modification of the fibres in order to achieve better interfacial adhesion will be done. The targeted composite applications are in automotive industry, building industry as well as the furniture and interior design industry, where there is a great interest for novel sustainable materials,which are based on biobased raw materials,and which can be recycled in a carbon dioxide neutral way.
The project goals are the following:
- To develop and investigate the most optimal reinforcement composition, lay-up and configuration. This involves parameters such as fibre length and diameter, fibre orientation, reinforcement thickness
- To investigate possibilities to improve composite properties by fibre modification by chemical methods,in order to achieve better fibre-matrix adhesion and load transfer, reduced moisture absorption,as well as enhanced mechanical properties
- To investigate and develop industrially applicable manufacturing methods for the reinforcements
- To investigate the most optimal composite composition and manufacturing process,by using different biobased resins, and by using different composite manufacturing techniques such as compression moulding,vacuum infusion and resin transfer moulding
- To investigate and characterise the mechanical,thermal and physical properties and characteristics for the made composites, by using conventionalcharacterisation techniques
- To apply numerical methods (finite element analysis), on the developed composites, in order to find out mechanical models for the composites. The fracture and damage mechanics will also be determined
- To establish the economic potential for the developed fibres for structural composite applications
The project should have great relevancy for the Swedish pulp and paper industry, the composite manufacturing industry, as well as the end-users in automotive industry, building constructing industry and the furniture and interior design industry. For the textile industry the project results should also be especially important, as the cellulose based textile reinforcements would be a new product are in the technical textile segment.