Third-cycle courses

Doctoral studies, in addition to the research work, include course components that provide a general introduction to science and research, in-depth knowledge of the subject, and method knowledge and skills that are beneficial for the thesis or preparing for a continued research career.

The course components' ranges differ among the different areas of doctoral education; this is clearly seen in the general curricula. The general curricula also show which courses or elements are required for a doctoral degree to be granted.

The different areas of research at the university provide many of the necessary courses included in the doctoral education coursework. In addition, university-wide courses are offered through the university's Research and Education Board (FoU). The university-wide courses are aimed primarily at the university's own students. However, if there is room, external doctoral students can participate.

The planning of the courses should be mutually decided by the student,supervisor, and director of studies. Temporal planning should be recorded in the individual study plan for the upcoming year.

There may be times when a completed course needs to be adjusted in relation to the research area. It is your examiner, or a person appointed by the FUU, who decides the value of the course. This is done a specific form. You should always be notified of the decision. 

Courses from another university, from previous education or from an education provider outside the university may be subject to credit transfer. According to the Higher Education Ordinance, credit transfer may be possible: ”if the knowledge and skills that the student claims to have are of such kind and scope that they mainly correspond to the education for which they are meant to be creditable. A student may also be credited with the corresponding knowledge and skills that have been acquired in professional activity.” (HF 6 kap, 7 §).

Forms and documents regulating third cycle course work