Time to submit honorary doctor nominations
“We are extremely proud of our honorary doctors. In addition to giving us the opportunity to honour those who have made significant contributions to the university, honorary doctors strengthen our national as well as international networks,” says Pro-Vice-Chancellor Kim Bolton.
At the end of April, the university will highlight Romulo Enmark in a digital event as an honorary doctor for 2021 after having been designed as such earlier this year. At the next Academic Ceremony, to be held on 22 April 2022, the more traditional ceremony, the doctoral degree conferment ceremony, will take place.
“I am happy on behalf of my colleagues that we can have a celebration in the spring, even if it is not going to be held in person. Those of us in the boards look forward to honouring our honorary doctors and planning is in full swing,” says Associate Professor Eva Gustafsson, chair of the Research and Education Board.
Hanna Landin, chair of the Artistic Research and Education Board, agrees, adding, “It is now time to submit nominations and this is a good opportunity to ensure that we also honour work that may not have led to doctoral and professor titles, but has nevertheless been significant for the development of a specific area.”
Here's how to nominate
Only employees at the university may to submit nominations and thereafter it is the Research and Education Board and the Artistic Research and Education Board that, in discussion with the Vice-Chancellor, decide on appointment.
Nominations are to be submitted in a sealed envelope to the Reception desk in Balder. Mark the envelope with "Nomination - honorary doctor". Please note that the nominee are not to be informed of their nomination.
Describe the nominee with a maximum of 1500 words according to the following guidelines:
- clearly and rigorously describe the nominee's significant contributions and justify why the person should be appointed an honorary doctor, and
- clearly and rigorously escribe the nominee's professional background and other possible awards.
It is also important to indicate in which research area the person is proposed to be named an honorary doctor.*
Submit the nomination to Reception in Balder no later than 18 January.
Who can be appointed an honorary doctor
In order to be appointed honorary doctor, the person must be deemed to have contributed:
- significant professional achievement in any of the doctoral education areas for which the university has degree qualifications; professional accomplishments may apply to both academic work in relation to the subject and to innovative developments in relation to the professional with practical applications, and/or
- significant efforts linked to research, education and other activities conducted within the university and where the person in question has or has had direct or indirect connection to the university.
It is not customary to appoint someone to be an honorary doctor at the same university where they received their degrees(s). The person should also not have a doctorate from another Swedish university in the same area as the honorary doctorate.
* For details regarding nomination, see the guiding document "Procedure for the Appointment of Honorary Doctors at the University of Borås", Reg. 639-19.
Romulo Enmark was named honorary doctor in 2020
Lina Färm/Translation:Eva Medin