Residence permit

EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of a Nordic or an EU/EEA country, you have the right to reside in Sweden and do not need to apply for a residence permit.

Swiss citizens

Students from Switzerland should apply for a residence permit if you plan on being in Sweden for over three months. Information on residence permits for Swiss citizens can be found on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency (external link).

Non EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of any other country than an EU/EEA country, you need to apply for a residence permit from the Swedish Migration Agency. Students are required to have the permit before moving to Sweden and should apply for it as soon as possible after admission. You apply online at the website of the Swedish Migration Agency (external link).

If you are a fee-paying student, you should pay your tuition fee first, since you will not receive a residence permit before the invoice has been paid. Once you have received the payment confirmation, you can apply for the residence permit (same link as above). Please note that you can only obtain a residence permit for studies if you are admitted to full-time studies that require your presence in Sweden. If you are admitted to the Master's Programme in Library and Information Science, for example, you can only receive a residence permit for your visit(s) to Sweden.

Important to remember when you apply:

  • Obtaining a residence permit can be a lengthy process and we recommend that you apply as soon as possible once you are admitted. The University has no power to initiate or speed up the process.
  • You cannot receive a residence permit for a longer period of time than the validity date of your passport. Please make sure your passport does not expire before the end date of your studies.
  • You must prove to the Swedish Migration Agency that you have a guaranteed amount of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies. The Swedish Migration Agency sets the amount, which is currently SEK 8,370 per month (2019) for ten months out of each year of your studies. Note that the money has to be in your personal bank account.
  • Make sure to include all the required documents when you apply. If your application is not complete, it will take longer to receive a decision. This delay might cause you to not receive your permit in time to start your studies.
  • If you need to state a contact person from Sweden, you may ask one of the international coordinators to be your contact person. Send them an email here.

Extending your residence permit

If you need to extend your residence permit, you must apply for an extension before your current permit expires at the Swedish Migration Agency's website (external link).