Change of email system
The new email system is a part of Office 365, which is a cloud service provided by an external supplier over the Internet. From a legal and information security perspective this means limitations in what kind of information that can be stored in the mail system and will require observance of specific rules. If employees at the university break these rules there is a risk of serious consequenses for individuals as well as the university (for example, the university may need to pay big fines to the government).
You will have two alternatives to choose between:
No later than the 31st of August 2020 you must have chosen one of these alternatives. In April you will receive an email message with information about how to provide your choice to the IT department.
If you haven't done an active choice before the above date your email messages in GroupWise will not be moved to the new mail system. For more information see No migration of current email messages
Alternative 1. No migration of current email messages
You can choose not to migrate your email. You can keep using GroupWise until the 31st of October 2020, after that it will not be possible to send or receive new emails in GroupWise. However it will be possible to search, read and if necessary save old emails in PDF format until the close down of GroupWise the 31st of March 2021. If you have used the function shared folders in GroupWise, that is shared mailfolders with coworkers, you need to consider the following see Shared folders.
Please note! After closedown the 31st of March 2021, your old emails in GroupWise will no longer be accessible.
Before 31st of March 2021 you need to secure that information that must be preserved according to the university's rules for archiving and culling, is stored in accordance with the information handling plan. Consider that emails that must be preserved only can be transferred to approved storage areas, for more information see Storage, archiving and culling.
You can choose to migrate (move) your mails from GroupWise to the new email system Outlook.
Migration can only be performed if the emails does not contain:
- confidential information (secrecy)
- sensitive personal data and personal data meriting extra protection
- or if above information is encrypted when it was originally received or sent
With the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) the headmaster stated rules for how employees are to handle personal data (dnr 361-18). These rules stipulate that emails must not contain the above unless encrypted according to §27. The decision also stipulate that clearing of this information was to be performed before 30th of June, 2019.
If you are unsure if you follow these rules you need to go through your emails and clear it from confidential information (secrecy) and sensitive personal data.
- Go through your emails and identify if there are any mails containing confidential information (secrecy) or sensitive personal data and/or personal data meriting extra protection. If you have used the archiving function in GroupWise and want to migrate messages from there, you need to unarchive the folders. Don't forget to go through the folder sent messages.
- Email messages containing confidential information (secrecy) and sensitive personal data and/or personal data meriting extra protection, must be cleared from the email system. Please note that if these emails need to be preserved according to the archiving and culling rules in the university's information handling plan, they must be transferred to an approved storage area before the mails are deleted in the email system. See Storing, archiving and culling.
Don't forget that from now on you must secure that no new emails containing confidential information (secrecy) and sensitive personal data and/or personal data meriting extra protection, is stored in your mailbox. This is also applicable after the change of system to Outlook.
When you clear you mails in GroupWise from confidential information (secracy) and sensitive personal data and/or personal data meriting extra protection, you first need to decide if the information that you are about to delete, should be transferred to another storage area or if it can be culled.
The same thing applies to you that have chosen not to migrate your emails. Before GroupWise is closed down you need to secure that information that must be preserved, is transferred to another storage area.
The university's information handling plan stipulates how long different kind of information need to be stored. Information that is to be stored for a long period must be transferred to central archiving in accordance with the information handling plan.
Information that can be culled shortly (about 0-3 years) does not usually need to be transferred to central archiving. Instead:
- Information that can be culled immediately, should be deleted without delay.
- Information that can not yet be culled, should be saved in PDF format according to instructions and stored on F:, G: or Vibe (note, you need to secure that the folders used in G: and Vibe have limited access so that only those who need the information can access it). You can also store information in Box if it doesn't contain confidential information (secrecy) and sensitive personal data. You are responsible for structuring the information so that is easy to find and that it is handled safely during the time that it will remain in the organization. You are responsible for performing the culling at the right time.
If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org