Guidelines for publishing in DiVA
1. All University of Borås employees shall register their publications in DiVA. If there are no limitations according to Copyright or other limitations a full-text copy of the publication should be deposited in DiVA.
Comment: DiVA is a tool to make University of Borås’ research activities more visible and Open Access. Registrations in DiVA also make in part the basis for internal and external resource allocation and thus it is crucial that all publications are registered in DiVA.
2. Responsibility for quality in publications registered in DiVA lies with the individual author. Scientific publications – articles, monographs, conference paper – are assumed have gone through peer review. Other types of publications should also be of high quality and fulfil the quality requirements applied by the publishing channel and be relevant for University of Borås. Metadata is reviewed by the university library.
Comment: DiVA is the university’s digital archive but it is also an important interface to others. Thus it is pivotal that everyone in the staff takes responsibility in making sure all publications are of high quality.
3. Controlled name forms and address forms make statistical analysis more accurate and make it easier to allocate research funds. Therefore all staff are required to use University of Borås and name of their home academy Swedish/English name, and post number 501 90 when they publish scientific articles. Further it is important to use firstname.lastname@example.org as the corresponding address and to use ORCiD(*). For new doctoral students ORCiD is applied in connection with the individual study plan is created.
Comment: ORCiD is a unique ID that follows the person even in cases of change of name or employment. ORCiD is a number which is written as a hyperlink: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1346-1530 ORCiD is needed to register an application in PRISMA (Swedish Research Council).
The aim is to make sure that all publications in e.g. ISI Web of Science have correct and uniform name and address forms thus making it sure that statistical data to research funders is correct. When name and/or address is wrong the publications cannot be affiliated with University of Borås.
The data in DiVA is exported to Swepub, the national research database and also the source for Swedish Research Council in statistical calculations.
4. Everyone who has received economic or other support from University of Borås while writing dissertation are supposed to publish their dissertation in a University of Borås series. This does not hinder publishing dissertation in a series which belongs to another university or publisher. The dissertation shall also be published in full-text in DiVA.
Comment: Exceptions to this can be made when a publisher does not allow self-archiving.
5. Most scientific journals have a policy allowing self-archiving in and institutional repository sometimes with some restrictions e.g. time. Transferral of copyright should be avoided all times. All research publications and other publications which have received economic or other support from University of Borås are presupposed, in accordance with copyright and other agreements, to self-archive in DiVA.
Comment: The routine means that researcher shall avoid transferring copyright to a publisher. Also, it means that researcher should when possible to deposit a fulltext copy of their publication in DiVA. In other words when a publisher allows self-archiving a researcher should deposit a copy of their publication directly after publishing in DiVA. The library will make sure that possible embargo-time (time a publisher has sole right to disseminate the publication, often 6-12 or 18 months) is respected. This routine is applied on publication series of University of Borås.
6. All student theses on bachelor’s and master’s lever are published in BADA in fulltext. The aim is that all student thesis are available online.
Comment: Students who cooperate with organizations and have access to classified information should not make their thesis electronically available. Also, students are free to choose whether they want to make their thesis electronically available. University of Borås cannot compel students to publish their thesis. Students also retain copyright to their work. Important to note is that student theses are imported to Uppsatser.se and uppsok.kb.se, thus available from several access points and via search engines online.
* Open Researcher and Contributor ID, ORCID, is a global register with unique ID:s which are used to identify researchers. Sign up for ORCiD at http://orcid.org . [2015-02-09]