Why is referencing important?
The main arguments for this are:
- It should be clear what basis you have for your interpretations and claims
- It should clearly state what is your own conclusions and thoughts and what you have downloaded from others
- It should be easy to find your way back to the source if you want to know more or check your data
There are several types of styles for writing references. Different academic disciplins have different standards. Which style you should use while studying at University of Borås, depends on the requirements of the particular course.
- APA style (APA website)
- Harvard style (York St John University)
- Harvard style (Anglia Ruskin University)
- Oxford style (Deakin University)
- Standard for bibliographic referencing (Wikipedia)
- Audiovisual citation (British Universities Film & Video Council)
If you're not referencing correctly, you risk being suspected of plagiarism, ie that you present others' results, conclusions or ideas as if they were your own. Plagiarism is cheating, which the University of Borås takes seriously. Anyone who gets caught with plagiarism risk getting a warning or at worst, be suspended from the program. Read more in the Anti - Plagiarism Guide.