Visas and residence permits

EU/EEA or Swiss citizen

EU citizens have the right to work, study, or live in Sweden without a residence permit. When entering Sweden, you need a valid passport or ID card showing your citizenship. If your stay in Sweden will be one year or more, you need to contact the Swedish Tax Agency to register yourself in the Swedish population register. 

Citizens of Switzerland

If you are a Swiss citizen, you may move to Sweden to work, study or start your own business. If you wish to stay for longer than three months, you need to apply for a residence permit.

Non-EU citizen staying up to three months

If you are a scientist invited to a scientific establishment in Sweden for the purpose of teaching or lecturing only, and for a period of less than three months, you do not need a work or residence permit. However, citizens of some countries will need a visa.

Entry visa

There are certain countries whose citizens are required to apply for a visa for entry into Sweden. You can apply for an entry visa at a Swedish embassy or consulate in your country of residence using the application form for Schengen Visa. Some requirements differ from country to country, so you have to check what applies in your case. In some countries, Sweden is represented by another Schengen state. A visa is temporary and is valid for a maximum of 90 days per six month period.

See a list of countries for which a visa is required

Non-EU citizen staying more than three months

If you plan to stay in Sweden for longer than three months, you will need a residence permit for researchers (employment or scholarship), work permit (employees not doing any research), or residence permit for doctoral studies (people admitted to a doctoral education programme at the University of Borås). You must apply for the permit from your home country or other country outside Sweden where you are living. If you apply online, using the Swedish Migration Agency’s website, you will get a decision sooner, providing that the Swedish Migration Agency does not need to request further information.

Read more about the different types of residence permits here

A visitor's permit (classification O) is usually valid for no more than six months or up to one year. This permit is only valid for a visit and people using it may not work or take up residence in Sweden.

Read more about visitor permits at

The residence permit card is a proof that you have been granted a residence permit. When you enter Sweden, you must therefore show your card along with a valid passport. If you don’t need a visa to travel to Sweden, you can have your fingerprints and photograph taken for a residence permit card in Sweden. You must visit the Swedish Migration Agency as soon as possible after receiving a residence permit and arriving in Sweden.

Read more about residence permit cards at

Non-EU citizen extending your residence permit

If you plan to continue working or studying in Sweden, make sure to apply for extension before your current permit expires.

Residence permit for looking for work after studies and research

Researchers and higher education students have the opportunity to apply for a residence permit to remain in Sweden for 12 months following the completion of their research or studies to seek work, or examine the possibility of conducting business activities in the country.

Read more about these permits here:

Permanent residence permit (PUT)

Once you have had a residence permit for researchers, a work permit, or a residence permit for doctoral studies for four years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit, which remains in force as long as you live in Sweden.

Since 20 July 2021, applicants must fulfil new, special requirements in order to obtain a permanent residence permit in Sweden. For example, you must be able to support yourself financially: permanent employment, or fixed-term employment lasting at least 18 months from the date on which your application is examined, see Special requirements for permanent residence permits. 

The requirement for sufficient Swedish language and civics skills is not implemented immediately.

Swedish citizenship

When you have lived in Sweden for several years, you may apply for Swedish citizenship.

Proposals for Swedish language tests for permanent residence permit and citizenship

The new requirements for permanent residence permit include having sufficient Swedish language and civics skills. The language and civics requirement would, however, be implemented sometime later after 20 July 2021.

A government inquiry proposes that requirements for knowledge of Swedish and understanding of the Swedish society be introduced for the acquisition of Swedish citizenship as of 1 January 2025. There is no final proposal yet.