Leave from studies, non-completion of studies, and suspension

Leave from studies

There may be changes in your planned pace of study. As a doctoral student, you have the right to have a study break due to illness, parental leave, representative position, or military service.

Non-completion of studies

If you do not intend to continue with your doctoral studies, you need to notify your Director of Studies for your doctoral education in writing that you wish to resign from your place in the doctoral programme. For this purpose, the intended form must be used: Non-completion of the doctoral programme

In order to be able to resume your studies after a reported non-completion of studies has been registered, you must apply to be admitted to the doctoral education programme again. You then apply on the same terms as everyone else who applies for the advertised position, which means that you are not guaranteed admission to the studies once again.

Withdrawal of resources

According to the Higher Education Ordinance, the Vice-Chancellor can decide to withdraw a doctoral student's right to supervision and other resources. This can happen if the doctoral student to a significant extent neglects their commitments according to their individual study plan.

This is regulated in the university's procedure for withdrawing resources from doctoral students.